Photobucket

The Question Of Aid


Tuesday, September 16, 2008


The Kitchen Aid.

After humming and hawing for years (should I? shouldn't I), lusting after it (be still, my heart), watching the price increase with each year of deliberation (you have got to be kidding me, when all's said and done, it's just a freaking piece of metal!), picking out the colour (Empire Red) and where to place it (the bar cum work counter), I've decided once and for all.....



..... NOT to get it.



What an anti-climax, I know, I felt it too.

While I would like one, the truth of the matter is I don't need it. It's great if you bake on a regular basis or if it's what you were put on this earth to do. Not so with me. While I bake competently enough, in my heart, I can't justify the price. I am doing well with my two hand-held mixers and when I choose to go old school, my wrist and arm step up to the occasion while getting toned in the process. And if I do say so myself, my bakes haven't suffered from it. Maybe the odd strained tendon but that's about it.

The other most commonly used function for a Kitchen Aid is to knead dough. Well, I'm very old fashioned when it comes to bread. I like to get my hands down and dirty and it's a tactile process which I find extremely fulfilling. Bearing this in mind, the Kitchen Aid will not be very helpful here either, would it?

Of course the nifty gadget has other uses too if you buy the attachments. But whatever extra functions I do use, I already have or am planning to buy a machine for that particular need.


As with other aspects of life, it's not the choice but indecisiveness itself posing the problem. I'm so glad I've finally made up my mind even though it took me all of four years. Funny, then, how I accepted the hubby's marriage proposal in under a minute! I guess what really tipped the scales were finding reasons not to have one as opposed to must have or die.

Kitchen Aid, I mean. Not the husband.

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 11:47 pm

2 calories
Comments:
I was lusting after one myself, and a red one too, definitely the red one. Gorgeous. But I know myself, it'll end up a red elephant, taking up my already limited kitchen counter space. I don't even like baking that much. This past week, the urge came back again. I will read your post whenever I need to suppress that urge.
 
Lilian, with your new 'baby' (the camera) coming this weekend, who needs the Kitchen Aid? LOL.
 
Post a Comment