Photobucket

Mee Goreng


Monday, August 27, 2007



K's been on this Mee Goreng craze last week. It seems she's had the dish a few times for lunch and dinner now and her family is getting quite sick of it. I can identify with that. Sometimes I go potty over a particular type of food and make it so often, the two men beg me to stop. Or they threaten to confiscate my wok and spatula until I cook something different.

I haven't had the spicy noodles in years and hearing her talk about it made me hanker for some. I flipped through my cookbooks and found the recipe I was looking for: Indian Mee Goreng (Indian Fried Noodles). Yum! I made up the rempah which worked out to be enough for three single serves. No matter, I split it into three portions, used one and froze the other two until needed, which, I suspect might be very soon.


The one key ingredient I was missing was the fresh yellow egg noodles which is not available here. One thing about living overseas, you learn to i)improvise; ii)make do; or iii)go without. I refuse to go without so I had options i) and ii). Today I thought I'd make do with some fresh frozen mee pok (flat egg noodles) and it turned out rather authentic taste wise. It's not the same texture as one would get in the hawker centres but the general flavour was there. And being on the wrong side of the pond, that was good enough for me.

Labels: , ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 12:25 pm

3 calories
Comments:
OMG! Your mee goreng looks so shiok!! Now you make me craves again. Hahaha
 
The last time I did Mee Goreng, I used spaghetti. Maybe wouldn't taste as good (in fact certainly didn't) as fresh yellow noodles but on photo looks like it (grin).
 
chicchicbaby: NOT. AGAIN!

lotus: I was going to use fresh spaghetti too, if I didn't find the mee pok first.
 
Post a Comment