Photobucket

15 Months And We're Outta Here


Tuesday, April 01, 2008


Our stuff arrived last week so I'm typing this from one of our two PCs. However, I've been too upset and busy to blog as I'm up to my nose in plumbing and heating issues.

It is difficult to think happy thoughts when one is cold to the point of aching joints and never knowing when you turn on the tap or flush the toilet if that's going to be your last in two days.

And no, this is not an April Fool's joke.

Beijing does not bode well with me but I'm taking this posting as a life experience, something to talk about when we grow old - ah, remember when we lived in Beijing and the water mains didn't work? And I, Madam Constitpation had to go on the day when we couldn't flush. You know, interesting anecdotes like that to regale the grandchildren. I have thus far categorize this particular life experience as Been There, Never Again.

On the other hand, the shopping's been great and once I'm sufficiently thawed out, I will talk about some of my favourite spoils.

Oh, and how can I forget? The food's been super too. We've been eating out every weekend and even on the odd weekday. There's restaurants to suit all sorts of budgets and the variety is staggering. Eversince we moved here, I haven't done much by way of cooking. The way I see it, there's time enough for us to taste my home-cooking but we may not have another opportunity to savour the local and foreign cuisine on offer here.

One last gripe for the day. Earlier on I mentioned something about heating issues. Well, the Chinese government, in all its infinite wisdom, cuts off all manner of indoor heating yearly on 15 March. Just because the calendar says Spring, doesn't mean temperatures outside are well, Spring-y. Our indoor temperatures have been a nippy 14-15oC. We tried buying one of those nifty portable radiators but nope, all of them have been replaced with air-conditioners. I have never seen Hubs looking so homocidal before.

Anyhow, 15 months and we're outta of here.

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 12:59 am

2 calories
Comments:
Hang in there! Or else get on a flight over here to thaw. ;)
 
We just might. And then we have to try and meet up. :D
 
Post a Comment