Photobucket

I Am A Proud Singaporean


Thursday, August 09, 2007




Since I've been the mayor of New York, I analyse a city by its physical condition... as it says something about the self-respect and about the sense of pride the people have. The physical condition of Singapore is magnificent...

- Former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani



Today's National Day in Singapore. As I'm typing this, she is probably getting started on her National Day Parade at the Marina Bay.

To celebrate, I'm wearing a white top and crimson red trousers today. I'd wanted to wear a red mini but the temperatures suddenly dipped to 13o so I had to scratch that. The boy is wearing a red top and white cargo trousers. He's the only seven year old I know who can keep his white pants pristine after a whole day of activity. I think he gets it from me.

To further celebrate, I shall be whipping up a Singaporean dish today. I still can't decide if it's going to be Laksa or Mee Siam. Ideally I would like to have both, pig that I am.

Alot of folks here want to know which part of Asia I'm from. When I tell them I'm from Singapore, the general reaction I get is polite confusion. Like, I've heard of this place but am not sure where or what it is. Is it in China? Sigh...

So for the sake of my non-Singaporean readers, this is where I was born, raised and lived in until eight years ago. It is über modern, clean and efficient. My in-laws (as in the whole clan) visited us one year and were most impressed with the country. In their own words - I wasn't expecting it to be so modern... That was why in the beginning when we moved here (a small town) after Cologne, they kept asking me if I was adjusting and if I was happy. Well, yes, and yes. I'm very adaptable and optimistic so that helps. Having broadband access helps too. *haha*

Happy 42nd Birthday, Singapore!

Labels:



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 5:16 am

4 calories
Comments:
Joyce,

You are more Sporean than many of your countrymen...I didnt even bother to wear red yesterday..

And, really love the way you write...light and humourous...enjoy reading all your entries..especially about your KitchenAid...Keep it up!
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Hi Joyce! Thanks for your generous comments. I like to keep things light around here. We are all stressed out in the real world, no need to add to it.

My KitchenAid wants to learn how to cook pasta now. Let's see what comes out of it.

Oh, and I make it a point to wear red every National Day. It's the least I can do.;)
 
Happy National to You, Joyce! My char & me wore red too. This year parade is wonderful! Hope u catch it over the net. =)
 
Post a Comment