Photobucket

In Remembrance


Sunday, July 06, 2008


As a history buff, one area of fascination has to do with World War II, a subject I started getting into early 2007. I read about the subject extensively, watch the programmes on both Discovery Civillization and the History Channel to death and have seen just about every movie or mini-series made in on the subject. The internet has been a treasure trove of information too.

And because I'm crazy that way, each year I try to do something for myself on the subject. The year before last, it was the Band of Brothers series and book, followed by a day trip to Bastogne with the map from the book as our itinery guide.

In May this year, I managed to buy a set of BBC History of World War II from one of the DVD shops here. I thought it would be rather meaningful to plough through it during the month of June and thereafter - my own private memorial for the soldiers who died and a tribute to the veterans who survived.

At the moment, I'm going through the chapters of The Nazis - A Warning from History. This series is different as the bulk of the programme comprises of interviews with people who've been through the war, either as a civillian, a Holocaust survivor, Allied soldiers (of all rank and file), former SS soldiers and Nazi party members. And the BBC tells it like it is with no leanings to any one side. They offer the good and the bad and leave viewers to form their own opinions. This has made for some interesting conversations at the dinner table between Hubs and I lately.

I chose not to go watch the discs chronologically and kicked things off with the one on the Japanese conquest of Asia. I also specifically saved the episodes about D-Day for 6 June as that was the day the Allied Forces invaded Normandy. And yes, I still hope to be able to follow the Normandy trail one day too as we did for Bastogne. It is very much on our to-do list.

Here's to all the young men who fought bravely and died in Europe and Asia - thank you.

Labels:



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 10:41 pm

0 calories
Comments: Post a Comment