Photobucket

Beauty Is Only Skin Deep


Friday, August 20, 2010


So the saying goes.

It means looking good on the outside is superficial, hence skin deep, and what really counts is your personality.

However, when your husband looks at you in mild shock after you've just emerged from your nightly toilette in all its radiant barefaced beauty and exclaims," What's happened to your face?", you know it's time to do something about it.

What Hubs was alluding to were the nasty angry cyst-like bumps and spots which have congregated along the jawline and forehead. I've always had clear skin until we went to Beijing. And because I do not want to waste your time, dear reader, this is the abbreviated chain of events:

Beijing + air pollution like you wouldn't believe = blocked pores = whiteheads, blackheads + pimples

Thank you country of my forefathers.

The condition lifted somewhat when we went back to the Netherlands for two weeks. Then it was on to Singapore. Again I present you the abbreviated chain of events:

Singapore + humidity + mild (anything after Beijing is practically pristine) air pollution = more blocked pores = whiteheads, blackheads + pimples

Then I think the stress from the last few months also contributed to my facial woes. Last week, I decided enough was enough, I made an appointment with a dermatologist.

I met her today and it was the best thing ever. We went through my daily skincare regime and she shook her head and said I do too much work. Then she peered into my face with her special magnifying eyeglasses. It only took a minute or two but I never felt so exposed in my entire life. Then she tells me my pores are clogged, extremely clogged and all my lotions and potions are causing it. Stop using the whole lot she says. I coiled back in horror. They are not working, is it? If not you wouldn't be here. She has a point.

So goodbye Chanel and Estee Lauder, hello La Roche-Posay, Clindoxyl, Differin and Glycoli Acid. And to make things go along even faster, a couple of monthly acid peels, starting with one at the end of the month. I have been warned that my face will actually get worse before clearing up so I'm bracing myself for it.

Beauty is only skin deep. It means looking good on the outside is superficial, hence skin deep, and what really counts is your personality.

Well, a girl can have both can't she?

Labels:



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 4:29 am

1 calories
Comments:
You know, I DO NOT use any product on my face except a scrub every week (in the shower) and after that a bit of hydrating water-based cream. That's all.

The rest of the time, I just rinse my face with water. No soap.

But I dread the worst if we should ever move to China.
 
Post a Comment