Photobucket

Madras Curry and Roti Prata


Saturday, August 12, 2006



It's been raining all week and temperatures have dipped to 19-20C. What a perfect excuse to tuck into a steaming hot bowl of spicy curry.

Of all the types of curry, I love Madras curry with mutton best. Letting it simmer in the pot for a couple of hours, the flavours of spices, meat, potatoes and onions really come together into one heavenly blend. I also add a dollop of tomato puree for good measure.

Last night, we had Roti Prata to accompany the curry. With some imagination, it was like being in Tekka Market again with my parents and sister after church on Sundays. We used to troop down there for lunch so that mum and dad could pick up some fruit and groceries before heading home.

I used to make Prata from scratch because it wasn't available here. It was alot of work but don't mess with a woman with childhood food cravings. Anyway, some time last year, the asian store in the town centre started importing the frozen variety. From Singapore too, no less! I swooped down on it and filled my basket with 5 packets. Just so you know how crazed I was, each packet contains 5 pratas. I had prata the whole week! Bliss!

Another favourite way of eating prata is with vanilla ice-cream, caramalised bananas and chocolate sauce. Let's see if I can rustle it up again soon. I don't often make it because that dessert is just plain evil.

If you have time, here is a good site for the history, background and ingredients of curry. Its very extensive information makes me think this is how Gil Grissom (of CSI:Las Vegas) would give a forensic analysis of curry if he had to.

Labels: , ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 3:25 am

0 calories
Comments: Post a Comment