Photobucket

Birds of Prey


Tuesday, October 03, 2006



We all went for a walk iin the woods on Sunday afternoon.

'We' comprising of our family, my husband's parents, his brother and son and his colleague who dropped by unexpectedly and was sporting enough to come along with us.

They chose this forest called Stammenderbos; loosely translated it means Forest of the Trunks and there's a reason why it's named so because this is what it looks like all over:


I don't know who picked the route but it ended up being more of a climb than a walk. Up and down, up and down we went. At the start of the walk, we had to climb this rather steep slope. R, (my brother-in-law) gave up pushing his son's buggy halfway and my husband took over. I was trailing behind them, thinking," Thank goodness that's not me!" Well, once upon time, that was me but I've paid my dues.*heh*


As you can see, the forest is not very picturesque at all. If anything, it was a bit creepy. I felt I should be leaving bread crumbs to mark our location ala Hansel and Gretel. But it was just as well there was nothing to see - one needed one's full attention to navigate the undulating terrain.

With that done, we did another Dutch thing - go for a drink.

Now, after living in Europe for a few years, I've finally come to the realisation that not only do all roads lead to Rome, they also lead to the nearest watering hole in the form of a cafe, bistro or pub. And since we were near Terbough (the converted farmhouse turned cafe I mentioned about 2 weeks back), it was the most natural choice.

When we arrived there, there was an bird exhibition going. Not just any bird, but birds of prey namely the owl and falcon. By luck, we managed to get front row seats in the form of a long table and bench - perfect for our group of 6 adults and 2 boys. It was fun, huddling together under huge umbrellas nursing hot tea (me) and cold beers (everyone else) in the frisky wind and slight drizzle, watching falcons do their thing.

Here is one of the trainers swinging around a dead pigeon. Think trainers throwing fish at sealions to get them do their tricks. Same concept.


After the show, one could hold the birds and take photos if one was inclined too. Of course we all wanted a go. Here's my photo op:


Here's another photo of a falcon enjoying his snack of a dead chick. A bit gruesome, I know:


Who knew a simple walk would turn out to be so interesting?

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 3:14 am

0 calories
Comments: Post a Comment