Photobucket

Tiramisu


Tuesday, October 09, 2007



Tiramisu literally means "Pick me up" in Italian. How apt! Nothing like a spot of coffee, alcohol and sugar to get the blood going.

I found this out when I was searching for the website from which this particular tiramisu recipe I've been using for years was from. Lazy me wanted to create a link rather than type the whole thing out. It's just as well because the recipe has been updated. Instead of raw egg yolks, Chef John V. (I don't know who he is but I sure want to thank him for this superb recipe) has added an extra step whereby the yolks are cooked in hot syrup. Wonderful! With the salmonella scare out of the way, we can now have our cake and eat it.

I've tried out many classic tiramisu recipes but for me, this is the definitive one. It's full of flavour, not too rich and best of all, easy to make. All you need is time. The longer you let it sit in the refrigerator before serving, the better it tastes. I normally make mine early in the morning so I can bring it out after dinner. Leaving it overnight is great too because by then, the lady fingers would have had fully absorbed the espresso, rum and Marsala mixture.


Tiramisu does not last very long in Cookalot. This is one of the few desserts we three agree on (Sonny-boy only gets a couple of mouthfuls on account of the coffee and alcohol). I made this for a small dinner party on Sunday as yet another set of in-laws came to visit. This time it was R, Brother-in-law #4, his partner C and their cute toddler V. I was making Laksa that evening and knew it was R's favourite so I got Hubs to invite them over for a bowl.

Dutchess' serving suggestion: Best eaten with a big, fat dinner fork.
Even better if you don't have to share.


On Sunday, I was most gratified to see everyone clean out their bowls, especially since I spent all morning and a bit of the afternoon over rempah and gravy. The tiramisu went down well too. I did remember to selfishly set aside an extra portion for myself though - to be savoured slowly the next day while watching Oprah and sipping hot tea.

Now, that's what I call a "Pick me up".

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 4:25 am

5 calories
Comments:
Oooh.. clever. Of course you'll have to set aside some for later. ;)
 
Huh? There's a ladyfinger in your Tiramisu's recipe? WOW!!!
 
singairishgirl: Of course! LOL.

agnes: I think all traditional Tiramisu recipes have ladyfingers and mascarpone cheese in them. It's like the beef patty in a burger. I do know of variations where they use sponge cake instead. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Are you going to try this? It's a no bake recipe.
 
My recipe just skips the egg altogether. And I've tried both ladyfinger and sponge cake.

But I've stopped making it as now when we live in Italy, everywhere you go they always have Tiramisu. Even my son is craving for kueh lapis instead.

If you have the energy to make kueh lapis you can bring it as an offering when you come visit me LOL.
 
lotus: Considered it done. I just hope it's up to your standard though. *better go practice now*
 
Post a Comment