Photobucket

Facebook


Wednesday, October 03, 2007



You read the title of this entry and you're thinking, Oh gawd, she's discovered Facebook and is going to wax lyrical about how wonderful, how funny it is.

Well, I'm not.

In fact, I'm putting out this special entry to inform my meagre list of Facebook friends that I've deactivated my account simply because I don't like it and have no use for it whatsoever.

*shock* *horror* *gasp*

You mean you don't like Facebook? How can you even say that?

Yes, I can. And I'm probably the only one on the planet who says it. That's fine, I've always moved to the beat of my own drum.

I know it's the hottest thing right now (so are leggings, ewww!) and I do agree it's fun but only if you're into that sort of thing. Well, I'm not. I'm a very private person and not at all into networking (it's not as if I have to anyway - those were the days - and I'm very happy with my select, teeny, tiny group of friends). The way I see it, thanks to the internet, the world has become smaller. Now with Facebook, it's almost claustrophobic. Every Tom, Dick and Harry knows every Lisa, Jane and Mary.

Besides, if I want to buy my friends or family drinks, cakes, gifts etc, I'd rather do it in real life. And if I want to poke, bite, throw thing or animals (poor sheep), slap, whatever, the people I dislike, I'd prefer to do it in real life too.

The other thing is, Facebook takes up alot of time. I mean, alot. Time which I already don't have or can channel into doing real activities, not virtual ones.

Now, back to the privacy issue. Why would I blog if I'm so private? Well, the thing about blogging is, while I can't really control who reads it, I can control what appears on it. I've always enjoyed writing since young and it's nice to talk about things one finds pleasurable, in my case, food. I do include snippets of my personal life but only the inconsequential bits which I don't mind sharing. You do not know half of what really happens in Cookalot. For the select few who do, you know how wacky, surreal or unbelievable things can be at times. Or how I have my low points when things don't go my way. For me to open up so candidly, it's something you have to earn.

So to all the users of Facebook, go on out and enjoy it. Me, I'll just crawl back into my niche and do things the old-fashioned way.

Oh and the pic in this entry - it was taken by Sonny-boy himself. *proud mum beam* It's been cropped of course, because like I've said before, if you want to see what I look like, you've got to meet me in person.

Labels:



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 8:27 am

16 calories
Comments:
Oh thank you thank you, Finally someone agrees with me it's boring. I still have the account anyway but I hardly ever use it. I don't know what the fuss is all about. I don't enjoy it too.

I agree with you about blogging too. Hope you don't mind I intrude into your world. ;)
 
Of course you're not an intruder. More like 'ka ki nang'. LOL. You'll be suprised at how many people we know in common, forum wise.
 
Ah really???
 
how funny - came across your blog via smoot whose blog i like to peruse on occasion too! but I wanted to thank you for linking me to other foodie blogs indirectly eg east meets west, etc...
 
Me too, I donno how to "play". Lol
 
Guess what??!! I also find it a bore. To me, this thingy is for people with nothing beter to do . Unfortunately I was one when the craze started. LOL!! So I've also deleted my account. This morning, ie. *cheesy grin*
 
Wow, for a while there I thought I was the only one. It's nice to know there are people out there who share the same sentiment.

singairishgirl: Really. Some of the members of the food forum you're part of are also members of a parenting forum I'm in. Now you know why I say the world is smaller thanks to the internet? :D
 
Joyce, Facebook is just one of the fads of the modern world. It's kinda fun when you first started but it gets boring after a week. It isn't as fun as what the media claims it to be. In S'pore, all the major newspapers have written about Facebook recentlyuepzt. I didn't know what it was all about till I tried it last week and it's all a little childish, I think. But another place to kill my time when I am bored at work. LOL!
 
Oh yes, I know they are in the other forum but I'm too lazy to sign up, very leceh, must wait for approval and stuff. Maybe one day when I'm super patient or bored.

By the way, the cross stitch stuff is amazing. I have no patience to do like what yo udo. I like small ones, to make cards etc.
 
Guys! There's this thing called privacy mode on Facebook!!...and who you choose to see your stuff and when you want it if not I wouldn't dream of putting Izzie's pics on!

Facebook rocks!
 
rosie: I understand about the privacy settings and have employed all of them but I'm just not into things like that. I'm not criticising facebook or its users I'm just saying I don't like it. Just like we all can't be into peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or rojak.
 
err..i don't like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches nor rojak...how?
 
rosie: You know what I'm trying to say.*spank spank*
 
tau hwuay chui?
 
fine, fine. tau hway chui is okay. Now will you zip it? Bwahahahaha!!!

You just made me hanker for some. And tau hway too. Damn!
 
Like I've told you, no idea how Facebook works, but it's a good way for me to remember friends' Bdays.

It's a bit childish as it started out as a college online Face Book, but kind of cute seeing grown-ups and professionals sometimes behaving like kids again haha.
 
Post a Comment