Photobucket

Dinner For Six - Irish Beef Stew


Monday, October 01, 2007




We had an impromptu dinner party on Saturday. I knew I was going to make a stew that evening and it was more like, who can we invite to help us polish the whole lot off? Our victims guests turned out to be Brother-in-law #3 and his two daughters - Niece #1 who just turned seven and Niece #2 who is three. The two girls get on fabulously with Sonny-boy. Especially Niece #1 who's a bit of a tomboy.

So.

The Irish Beef Stew recipe I wanted to try was from Beau Lotus. Her recipe is straightforward and easy to follow. The only eventful thing that transpired was when I asked Hubs to open a bottle of red wine - for a bit of added flavour (Lotus' french influence coming to play). Hubs wanted to do the honours so I let him with incessant reminders of only a little! Only a little, okay? What are you doing??? I said only a LITTLE!!! My dear husband went and poured something like almost one and half cups of wine into the stew. This is just after I emptied a whole can of Guinness Stout into it. Heavens to Murgatroyd! I didn't want this to turn into another case of the French Onion Soup Incident. It didn't fortunately - hours of simmering killed off any alcohol nasties lurking within. What I was left with was an extremely rich and flavourful stew - super for the cold weather.

To round up the meal, I made a Garlic Butter Risotto. I added some pine nuts for extra crunch. I don't know if this dish exist or not because I made it up in my head that morning. I figured it would go very nicely tastewise and it did. And because we all need some fibre, I threw in a salad as well. For the kids, I made Spaghetti in Cabonara Sauce which they attacked with relish. No doubt from the earlier hours of playing, running and screaming (my ears are still ringing).

And what's a dinner party without some bubbly? I set out a bottle of non alcoholic apple flavoured champange for the kids. We like to start them young, don't you know. *heh* The grown-ups had a more sedate bottle of Chilean red. For dessert, we had Panna Cotta with Balsamic Berries, a little something which I prepared earlier on in the day. I will elaborate on it in a future entry because a yummy dessert like this deserves its own header and you will see why.


By the way, even with all our gallant efforts, I was still left with a lot of stew. Actually, almost four large servings which I've since tucked into the refrigerator. I shall resurrect it again as a mid-week meal because according to Lotus, it gets better with time and according to the Dutchess, so do some people.

By the way, this recipe is a definite keeper. Thanks S!

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 4:26 am

7 calories
Comments:
I really have to do this irish stew sometime.
 
You must, seeing how your better half is Irish. ;)
 
Oh ya lah, hubby mostly eats Chinese. Haha. You live in ang moh country cook ang moh lah but he lives here he eats local hahaha. Anyway, he always says he doesn't like his mum's irish stew. Maybe will try yours. ;)
 
Also he is very localised. He speaks more Singlish than I do. Goodness, the stuff he picks up at work. I have to constantly remind him to speak to our girl in proper English.
 
The recipe is from Beau Lotus, I can't take credit for it. ;P

Hehe, Hubs is also very localised. He can lah, leh and hor like the best of them. He also enjoyed the local food - one of our favourite haunts was Old Airport Road hawker centre.
 
You know what? I live right beside the hawker place that you like. ;)
 
Joyce, your irish beef stew looks just great. I can never and I have never cook a pot of nice beef stew before even though knowing dh loves beef stew very much.. Guess I dread to try as thinking this is not an easy task as beef take a longer time to cook lor.. Thanks Joyce for sharing, hopefully I can bring up my courage to give it a try soon. Btw, what kind of beef should I buy? I am real lousy in choosing beef:(
 
Post a Comment