Photobucket

A Tale of Two Dinners


Thursday, August 31, 2006


On one side, we have Chinese Rojak followed by:
A tall, cool, glass of cendol. Yep, complete with green wormy thingies.

On the other side, we have Roast Leg of Ham with Young Potatoes.

No prizes for guessing who's having what for dinner.

As you can see, I run two kitchens at home - Asian and European. It's not uncommon for me to have 2 types of cuisine on the table. I do like western cuisine, Italian and French in particular, but not on a daily basis. It's just too heavy on my digestive system. Of course it's extra work but I don't mind. I suppose it's one of the perks of being a stay at home mum - I have time to pull stunts like that. Also, having to chase after only one child and not a football team helps too.

Tonight's dinner was really easy. The rojak sauce was made yesterday. When stored in the fridge, it's good for at least a week. It was just a matter of adding the sauce to the prepared vegetables, fruit, grilled tau pok and you tiao. As you tiao is not available here, I make my own and freeze them. I normally make a big batch because it's messy work.

Likewise the cendol. The gula melaka syrup was made over the weekend and stored in the fridge too. Actually it's a bad choice of beverage right now, what with the constant rain and dip in temperatures. However, my 'food-sickness' (as in home-sickness) superceded my common sense. I was shivering under the couch fleece throw while sipping the cendol but it was worth it. Anything to placate my craving. You can take a girl out of Singapore but you can't take Singapore out of the girl. Food wise, anyways. I must have my hawker food!

It didn't take rocket science to prepare the dinner of my 2 men either. I just stuck a pre-marinated leg of ham and herbed potatoes in a casserole dish, popped the whole thing in the oven and forgot about it. Well, not literally of course, but you get the idea.

Why the apparent lack of effort this evening, you might ask? Well, it's like this: I've been working on my latest cross-stitch project all afternoon and hit a most interesting part of the pattern. More time cooking = Less time cross-stitching. So.

You do the math. *evil grin*

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 12:39 pm

0 calories
Comments: Post a Comment