Photobucket

Pulut Hitam


Monday, October 09, 2006


Over the weekend, I had a craving for comfort food. Something that would remind me of my childhood. Again, I poked around the cellar to see what was available. I had a choice - I could either make chng tng or pulut hitam. I chose the latter because it was more substantial compared to the former of clear soup. More lemak if you will. So off I set about putting the neccessary ingredients to boil. The aroma from the simmering pot permeated the entire kitchen and I was in Singapore again. After an hour or so, this was on the table:


Lekker!

And for my in-laws who are reading this and haven't a single clue as to what I'm talking about, pulut hitam is black glutinous rice pudding. It is boiled in water as you would white rice with pandan leaves and gula melaka/jawa (palm sugar). Glutinous rice comes in 2 varieties of black and white. Its sticky texture when cooked, blends very well with sugar, thus making it more of a dessert ingredient. This is what raw black rice looks like:


Just so the next time you step into a toko winkel, you know what that packet of strange black stuff is. *heh*

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 1:00 pm

1 calories
Comments:
Joyce, dun tell me ur kitchen is that of a mini-mart in SG??!! To think that you stock up on these food items/ingredients. Really kowtow to you manz!

Hmmm ... pulut hitam is my all-time fav desert too. And indeed it is very "comforting" aka sinful. LOL!!!
 
Post a Comment