Photobucket

Breaking The Camel's Back


Saturday, November 25, 2006


Thanks to a slipped disc 7 years ago, I suffer from chronic backache down the lower bits of my spine. You only have to look at it the wrong way and it flares up. Then, it's bed rest or at least being seated as much as possible until the pain passes which can take anything from 2 days to a week. How I miss my chiropractor in Singapore. She had magic fingers. Yes, I understand there are chiropractors here too but I do not want to go into the Dutch healthcare system, my 'pet' topic. *evil grin*

So.

This time, the proverbial straw that broke this camel's back was lugging her booty back from the Asian store earlier on in the week. Pounding away to make mee siam rempah didn't help either.

Apart from the pain, I'm disappointed because I have to shelf my baguette making plans. There's no way I can be on my feet and knead in this condition. Thank goodness dinner's taken care of tonight. My son and I are having last night's leftovers of Sar Po Fan, Cantonese Claypot Rice.


This is an easy one-dish meal comprising of chicken, lap cheong (chinese sausage), mushroom, vegetable and salted fish. Everything turned out the way it should be, right now to the charred bottom. My favourite part is lifting the lid just after cooking and being hit in the nostrils by a blast of aromatic hot steam. Hoo! And one mustn't forget the charred rice at the bottom too. That has got to be the best part.

As a firm believer of the glass is always half full as to half empty, I take being off my feet as a cross-stitching weekend for me. When you think about it, it's not bad. Not bad at all.

Have a pain free weekend, everyone.

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 7:35 am

6 calories
Comments:
Hey take it easy. I know how a bad back can ruin your day. Plenty of bedrest! You take care.
 
Hope you'll get better soon. Rest well. And delish claypot rice, same-same, the charred bits at the bottom are the 'treasure' of a good pot of Sar Po Fan.
 
Precious Moments: Thanks for your concern...it's better today, just a dull ache. *keeping fingers crossed*

Angie: I was scrapping away at the bottom of the pot. LOL.
 
Hope u recover soon and take care ya and hey, yr Sar Po Fan really looks GOOD! I love the charred rice at bottom too. LOL.
 
waa, ur sar poh fan looks really good! this inspires me to make it one of these days! :)
 
Gracio, there you are! I'm going to fix another round of Sar Po Fan soon. It's so nice to tuck into during winter.
 
Post a Comment