Photobucket

The Tooth Fairy Cometh


Monday, November 27, 2006


As with most Sunday mornings, I was sorting out the week's washed laundry when my son comes in and announces, "Mummy, my tooth fell out!" and presents me with a teeny, tiny bloody mess of a tooth.

"Ooooh wow!" I say, taking him to the bathroom to rinse out his mouth and clean the fallen tooth.

I rummaged around my bedroom drawers for a suitable box and found one in a form of a jewellery gift box. Out went my husband's silver cufflinks (it was in a protective pouch anyway *evil grin*) and in went the tooth lined with tissue. I couldn't help noticing the box was robin's egg blue in colour - how befitting. So I show it to my son who was still overwhelmed and took some photos to mark the event. Mothers...... *rolling eyes* Hugs, kisses and high fives were also exchanged.

His tooth has been loose for a month now and from time to time, he would worry it with his finger, jiggling it here and there. His constant fear was it should fall out during his swimming lessons - "What if I swallow it?" "No, you won't," I reassure him hoping that he really wouldn't.


During our 10 minute ritual chat before bedtime in his room that night, the topic focused on the tooth fairy. He had so many questions but here are the choice ones with my 'butter-won't-melt-in-her-mouth' answers. I believe in Hokkien it's called 'pian gee-na' (bluffing kids).

Son: But how will the tooth fairy find me? Does she have a special map?
Me: Oh, she's got a TomTom (GPS navigational thingy), she knows where you live.
Son: But the TomTom is too big!
Me: They've got them in special fairy sizes.

Son: Will she take my tooth away?
Me: Of course she will, she can't give you money if you don't give her your tooth.
Son: But I want to keep it.
Me: Well, maybe we can send her a note....
Son: Does the tooth fairy have a computer? Can we email her?
Me: ???!!! *trying very hard not to laugh* I'll just let her know you want to keep the tooth okay? Maybe she might let you. We'll find out tommorrow morning.

And it goes on like that until I finally tuck him in and go down to the living room. I'd only been there for a few minutes, when the door bursts open with my son looking worried.

Me: What is it now? You have to go to sleep, it's a school night.
Son: This is the last question, promise.
Me: What is it?
Son: How will the tooth fairy get into our house?
Me: *without missing a beat* She flies through the mail slot, that's how. She can't go through the chimney because it's too big.
Son: But the slot is too heavy.
Me: She's very strong, she can push through. Okay, that's enough, you have to go to sleep now, it's too late!

My son finally falls asleep and this morning, finds both 5 euros and his tooth in the little box. He gave an excited gasp, his little face lighting up like a Christmas tree and asked, yet again: "How is the tooth fairy doing that???!!!"

Labels:



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 12:02 pm

4 calories
Comments:
haha... i guess all mommies go thru this very special moment. Another milestone for Robin.
 
5 euros!!! I remember I got a 5 cent for my tooth!!!
 
Sigh....so adorable, naive and innocent...Enjoy while you can.
 
precious moments: Sometimes I think we mothers are a very strange bunch - getting emotional over a fallen tooth. :P

Rosie: Hehe... Inflation and all that. Anyways, the going rate is 5 euros for the first tooth, all subsequent teeth go for 2 euros a pop.

Joyce: You said it. This age is really enjoyable. They are still innocent but are able to exchange banter with you.
 
Post a Comment