Photobucket

Party Of Five


Monday, September 03, 2007


As I mentioned in my Saturday entry, we were expecting Hubs' parents round for dinner. Earlier that morning, I had this sudden urge to entertain and ran the suggestion by Hubs and after he was agreeable, gave them a call. Yes, they can make it this evening. Whew, lucky us! They may be in their 70s but their social calendar leaves me breathless. Like restaurants, one has to make advance reservations with them.

That evening, Mussels and Paella was on the menu. The mussels were specially for Father-in-law. He loves them. Unfortunately, Mother-in-law does not so it's never on their dinner table. We're mussel-mad in Cookalot so when it's in season, like now, we bury ourselves in the stuff. For four years running, we've had the in-laws come round every mussel season. Bearing Mother-in-law's distaste for the mollusc in mind, I always make a separate meal for her. Tonight, I decided to show off my new found paella skills.

Paella!

Mussels!

Father-in-law having a go at it.

Dinner was a blast. They are easy people, as in-laws go. Conversation was flowing, aided no doubt by the two bottles of wine. After dinner, we all adjourned to the living area for some coffee and tea, accompanied by little slices of baklava (yes, I'm still on my Turkish streak). What followed next was almost three hours of Wii gaming. It was really fun, for everyone else at least. I didn't take part. My tummy was so full (two huge plates of paella and an equally big bowl of mussels will do that to you), I parked myself like a beached whale on the chaise lounge. Even Father-in-law had to comment on my er, 'good appetite'. What can I say? I love paella and mussels. Burp!

Labels: , , ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 4:09 am

0 calories
Comments: Post a Comment