Photobucket

Seri Kaya


Monday, September 10, 2007




Seri Kaya

You need:

400ml coconut milk
10 eggs
560g sugar
3-4 blades of pandan leaves, knotted
few drops of green colouring (optional)
strong arm and loads of patience *haha, just wanted to see if you were paying attention*


How to:

  1. In a saucepan, beat eggs and sugar until well mixed.

  2. Heat egg mixture over a very low flame and stir constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve the sugar. (about 10 minutes)

  3. Remove from heat.

  4. Add coconut milk into the egg mixture and strain into a double boiler. Place the cooked pandan leaves into double boiler too if you prefer a stronger flavour. If not, just discard the leaves. Add optional green colouring at this point.

  5. Place over a low flame and heat egg mixture until it becomes a thick custard like cream. This will take about 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on desired consistancy and flame used. Don't forget the magic word: STIR. Gently but constantly. Your kaya is counting on you.

  6. After cooling, transfer to bowl or bottle. Refrigerate.


Note: If it's possible, this kaya is best eaten the next day when all the flavours have had a chance to settle down and meld like a newly wed couple. Enjoy!

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 7:06 am

3 calories
Comments:
Hi Dutchess,

I think you used too many eggs. 4 XL eggs will do, with 400 ml santan, and 2 bowls of sugar. I like my kaya to be in brown color, so I add some burned sugar in. The other thing is you have to sieve your eggs after beaten. Normally after sieving, I will add in the sugar and santan, and then set to double boil with knitted pandan leaves in the kaya.

The result I have is a very smooth type of kaya. Based on your photos, I think yours is a bit on thick and 'rough' side, which is more suitable for making kaya puff.

I have learned to make kaya from my father when I was small.

You can eat the kaya with some steamed glutinous rice. Very nice! Lekker.


Lannie
 
Hi Lannie! It's good to hear from you again.

Thanks for the hint. The recipe you outlined is similar to one I've tried before, during my kaya quest. It is indeed smoother and not so lemak. I've also tried one that incorporates gula melaka. That was so sweet I was buzzing for hours afterwards.

I know alot of cooks go for the smooth texture but somehow, I like the rough one better. And yes, I use it as filling for kaya buns as well. It holds up better when baked or steamed.

Oooh... steamed glutinous rice and kaya! They're called Pulut Tai-tai are they? I love them!
 
Sounds great your recipe,
and the picture is great as well!

Do you also know, where to order canned Kaya on the internet?
'Cause sometimes I just want to eat it on toast without doing it before ;)

Thanks a lot
Stefanie
 
Post a Comment