Photobucket

A Spoonful Of Sugar Makes The Medicine Go Down And The One About Fall


Friday, September 21, 2007


I've caught one of my infamous throat infections and I've got the antibiotics to prove it. It had to happen of course, with the change in season and all.

They don't call it Fall (I prefer the word Autumn) for nothing. Everything falls. The temperature, the leaves, the rain, the damned acorns, people fall(ing) sick, the acorns... Did I also mention the acorns?

The acorn nut itself while small, becomes a deadly missile when released from say, a two-storey high oak tree. I should know. I got hit on the head by one this week. It poffed me (as Sonny-boy puts it)squarely in the middle - William Tell couldn't have done better if he'd taken aim himself. Anyhow, the pain was so excruciating (it left me with a headache for the next few hours) and the incident actually drew blood. Well, nothing as dramatic as blood dripping down the side of my head (are you kidding? I had an off-white blouse on that day!) but it did break skin. Thank goodness I wasn't hit by the acorn fruit itself (picture below). And thank goodness it didn't hit Sonny-boy who was inches beside me. That would've been fun.

And you know what the beauty is in all this? Sonny-boy and I have to play dodge the acorn nut/fruit whilst walking to and from school everyday. Our entire street and the main road are lined with oak trees, bless the town council's hearts. I'm quite sure there must have been an offer on oak saplings the day they had to decide on The Subject of Trees.

Anyway, after the falling fruit comes the falling leaves. Fun for the boy to slosh around in but scary for the mum because you never know what's under all the layers of leaves, do you? I really must stop watching all them crime shows...




Photo credit goes to Getty Images for the one featuring the cup of ice-cream that will give you more than just a sugar high.

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 3:19 pm

0 calories
Comments: Post a Comment