Photobucket

Candied Ears


Wednesday, May 07, 2008


Everytime I do my big weekly grocery shopping, I make it a point to come away with something I've never tasted before. The more suspect and exotic looking, the better. As long as it's been hygenically prepared and sold at a reputable supermarket such as Carrefour, Walmart and such, I'm fair game. Having said that, every adventurer has an Archilles' heel or limit. I draw my line at chicken's feet, chicken or duck heads, heart, tongue and brain of any species and most recently, ox penises. Yes, I saw not one, but four of those on Monday, neatly cling-wrapped in styrofoam trays. I was fixated, like one would be in a freak show. I must say the appendages were rather impressive, clocking in at approximately 8-9 inches with a girth of say, 2 inches, give and take a little? In case you were wondering, I didn't have a ruler handy in my purse but once upon a time as a trained designer and dressmaker, I have a mental measurement tape tucked away in my little head. And 99% of the time, I get it right.

So last week, in keeping with my "something new, something exotic" mantra, I bought a pack of sweetmeat from the generous confectionery of the Carrefour which is stocked with the usual breads and cakes. However, what draws me in is the array of sweets, sweetmeats, cakes and pastries in the local section. I've been working my way through it, trying out all the different items. Sometimes I strike gold, sometimes I strike out.

Candied Ears

These are called "Tang Er Duo" in Mandarin. Literally it means Candied or Sugared Ears. They are deep fried pieces of dough cut and shaped to resemble human ears and then drowned in golden syrup. The first bite is satisfyingly crunchy. As you continue, the crunchiness gives in to a soft, chewy mass in your mouth, which is all rather pleasant if you have a sweet tooth like me. I have reserved them for elevenses or the mid afternoon cup of tea. It makes a nice change from my usual biscuit and chocolate bon bons. These ears are wonderful - they listen obligingly and don't pass rude comments when you reach out for another piece. The perfect tea-time kaki (Malay word for leg; a Singaporean/Malaysian slang for friend or buddy. Don't ask. You need to have grown up with it).

Recommended teas: Osmanthus, Golden Lotus, Jasmine or blossoming teas. The floral aroma of these teas really play up the golden syrup and buttery flavour of this sweetmeat.


Footnote:- I presented these to Hubs and Sonny-boy and they were suitably grossed out. Wait till I show them the ox penises, they'll have something to howl about then. *snigger*






Labels: , ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 6:22 am

4 calories
Comments:
I love the way you write, so expressive.
 
Thank you, my dear!
 
"These ears are wonderful - they listen obligingly and don't pass rude comments when you reach out for another piece"

LOL That made me laugh out loud
 
M, always a pleasure :P
 
Post a Comment