Photobucket

Why I Keep A Blog


Thursday, November 13, 2008



Beau Lotus wrote a piece about why she blogs and asked everyone else why they kept one too.

That got me thinking.

I've been blogging for a little over two years now and never really thought about why I do it. I just did.

So now I ask myself, why do I blog?

I can't say I'm letting go of steam since I don't gripe and certainly do not bitch on this site, well, not on private issues. I can't say it's my creative outlet either because I have other avenues for that. And I certainly can't say I do it professionally. For one thing, I'm not a writer. Sure I can string a few words together to evoke a chuckle or at least a smile but I'm no Shakespeare.

That would leave the option of fun. And that's why I really blog - for my personal pleasure. In my blog I don't want to change the world, offer deep rhetorical discussions or cure cancer. I just want it to be my own place where I talk about things I love, in this case, food and my hobbies. But mostly food. Can't stitch or craft on an empty stomach. This blog is intended as a chat between good friends. You know, the five to ten minute conversations you have just before you need do the laundry, run an errand or some mundane chore. One of those lighthearted but oh-so-good for the soul chitchats.

I've never blogged with the intention of making money off it either. That's why you don't see any ads on this site. I've been asked fairly regularly to review food related services and products and more often than not, I turn down the offer. I have a strictly no advertising rule on my blog. If I do wax lyrical about something here, you can be sure whatever it is, it's on my to-buy/to-do list if it hasn't already been bought or tried out and not because I'm trying to sell you something.

The other thing is, I've never blogged with an audience in mind. I find it more liberating this way. I write what I want and when I want. Hence, you'll never see me begin a post with "I'm sorry I haven't blogged for a long time..." Once in a while I do give a polite "Still-here-alls-well" message but only because both Mum and Mother-In-Law want to know why there haven't been any updates in more than a week. Having said that, I am happy to know people from all over the world are reading my blog. Some of you are friends to begin with, some were strangers but through the course of time, became friends and some of you left lovely comments and emails. So for this, I would like to thank you and all the others who quietly read but don't make their presence known. Thank you taking the time out of your busy day to check in on me. I really appreciate it, especially since I keep a fairly low profile and don't put my blog or myself 'out there'.

And so, the next time someone asks me, Dutchess, why do you keep a blog? I will simply reply,

"For fun."

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 7:44 pm

2 calories
Comments:
Yeap, no ads for me on my blog either and much as the temptation is great (could always do with more money), I must live without.

Though apparently the other expats consult my blog when they want to eat out in Modena - imagine I could have taken commission or something from the restaurants :-).

Otherwise I certainly always have a good laugh when I read your blog, not to mention die with envy when I see you do magic with your hands. To more good posts!
 
Ah, thanks!

You and your Hub just have this knack for ferreting out good restaurants so it's no wonder your blog has become a reference point.
 
Post a Comment