Photobucket

Zuurvlees


Tuesday, October 17, 2006



Zuurvlees, or Sour Beef Stew, is as the name implies. It's sour. Instead of stock, you simmer the beef in white vinegar and various spices. This dish is peculiar to Limburg, a province in the south of the Netherlands, where we live. A relative told me that it is an aqquired taste and you have to grow up eating it. I'm inclined to agree with her. I didn't have a problem with the dish and I actually enjoy it. Of course I would. I'm Chinese - we eat just about anything. Taste wise, it's rather like a eating Sweet and Sour Pork and a Specula (Dutch spiced cookie). All in one mouthful.

Anyway, my husband has a very soft spot for Zuurvlees and I was more than happy to add this to my repetoire of dishes. However, searching for the recipe was akin to searching for the Holy Grail. I couldn't find a suitable one over the internet. But I refused to give up. I finally dug one up from a site featuring recipes of Dutch immigrants in Iowa from the '30s. I know. Don't ask.

I haven't a clue how women cooked in the '30s, if this recipe is anything to go by. For one thing, the recipe comprised of 4 short sentences. Sure it did tell you the ingredients but they ommitted the measurements. I mean, what was the ratio of beef to vinegar? How much allspice is too much? How long should I let it simmer? And how much is a handful of raisins? Do I grasp a dainty portion or do I go at it as if I was grabbing gold nuggets? I mean, really!

So anyways, I love a challenge. Armed with optimism and a good dosage of common sense, I set out to work in the kitchen. It took me 3 tries. The first time, I got the vinegar measurment wrong and I think I almost pickled our throats while eating it. Okaaaaay... halve the vinegar. The second try was better but still lacked the certain 'something'. I blamed the allspice - it was too bland. So I took it out of the equation and blended my own spices instead. This time I hit the jackpot. The Quality controller aka my husband, gave it the thumbs up. I could cook like a Dutch migrant! Happiness!

And just to prove it was an unbiased thumbs up, I unleashed it during my husband's birthday party last year. He wanted a Limburg-style buffet and what hubby wants, hubby gets. I made this stew and a guest wanted to know where I bought it from. That was such a compliment. *beaming*

********************

Here's the recipe I worked out if you're feeling adventurous.

Zuurvlees

Ingredients

800g beef, cut into 1.5" cubes
2 medium sized onions, sliced
2 tbsp butter
1.5 cups white vinegar

(A)
Combine 1/2 tsp each of the following ground spices:
cinnamon
cloves
nutmeg
black pepper

To taste:
salt
pepper
sugar

2" slice of gember koek (ginger cake), chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup of dried currants


Here's how:

1. Melt butter in a deep sauce pan, add in onions and brown.
2. Add beef and vinegar. Stir and bring to a boil.
3. Pour in (A), salt and pepper. Boil for a few minutes. Lower flame and simmer for 1 hr. Add some water if vinegar dries up.
4. Add gember koek a little at a time to thicken sauce. Stir thoroughly until it is completely dissolved. You may have to add more to get a thick stew-like consistency.
5. Mix in currants. Add sugar to taste.
6. Simmer for another hour, stirring every 5-10 minutes to prevent burning.
7. Serve hot with bread or thick wedges of deep fried potatoes.


Note:
Here's a photo of what gember koek, ginger cake looks like: It's a very dense cake, full of spice with thick slices of conserved ginger. If I'm not mistaken, it's normally eaten for breakfast.

Labels:



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 11:11 am

6 calories
Comments:
I just ate this in Maastricht - and came home to look for a recipe (I live in Germany). It is FABULOUS! Can't wait to try your recipe. Any possible substitutes for the gnger cake?
 
Hi Andrina, thanks for dropping by!

Where in Germany do you live? We lived in Köln a couple of years back.

If I'm not mistaken, one can find gemberkoek in a German supermarket as well but you really have to search for it. You could try the Edeka or Kaiser first.

We are now in Singapore where gemberkoek cannot be found but I found a decent enough substitute would be crystallized ginger and a bit of fruit cake. The gemberkoek is mainly to thicken the gravy as well as to add a bit of flavour.
 
Hi Duchess, my Girlfriend from Limburg cooks this so so well it truly is "Lekker" and just the thing for a cold winters night, I will send her your recipe, thank you so much for spreading the word ! Regards Sean
 
Hi Sean,

Thanks for dropping by. Do tell me how it turns out. Winters are just perfect for stews of all sorts!
 
Hi Dutchess,
Recently had Limburgs zuurvlees in a Maastricht restaurant, and just loved it. The owner deacribed it as a sweet stew and said he used apples to sweeten. Have you tried this? Now I am back in Australia I am keen to try it for winter.
Best regards,
Margaret
 
Hi Margaret,

Thanks for dropping by! This is the perfect comfort food for winter. Thanks for the apple tip. I have not tried it but will experiment and see how it goes the next time I do.

Did you enjoy your visit to Maastricht? I love that city and would go at least once or twice a month by myself for shopping and a nice lunch.
 
Post a Comment