Photobucket

Candied Citrus Peel


Friday, November 03, 2006



Two weekends ago, I experimented with this recipe from a Mediterranean cookbook I bought at the Gran Canaria airport. It's called Candied Citrus Peel and is quite addictive.

Initially, I made a modest amount just to test the recipe out. When it passed the taste test, I went all out, tripling the recipe. Well, the process is a bit arduous, so one might as well go the whole hog.

Here's what I had to do (albeit with slight adjustments):

1. Remove flesh and pith from oranges and lemons. Slice thinly, blanch and then simmer in a sugar solution for about one hour. Let cool overnight.

2. Remove citrus peels and arrange on wire rack to dry. Once crystallized, dip individual strips into melted premium dark chocolate. Arrange on baking sheet and let chocolate dry.

3. Enjoy your hard work!

It takes something like 2-3 days for the peels to completely crystallize here where the air is dry. In tropical climes, I reckon it might take longer. My husband was very patient all week as the study was taken over by trays of curing peels. Well, at least they smelt good. Speaking of smells, the tangy aroma lasted for hours after the simmering process. My kitchen smelt so fresh!

On top of it being a fancy nibble served with after-dinner coffee or tea, I can see possiblities for it as a garnish for desserts like cake and ice-cream. At the moment, my husband and I are not giving them the proper respect they deserve, greedily snacking on them as and when. They are that good!

Labels: , ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 12:01 pm

3 calories
Comments:
Sounds delicious but unfortunately I think this is hard to accomplish in Singapore due to the humid weather. :(

Maybe you can tapau when you next come home. hehehehehe.
 
I might try this - suppose it will work with ginger too?

Or go to Tanglin shopping mall to get it..
 
precious moments: I guess you can try a small tray in the fridge? It might work.

Rosie: Hehehehe, Tanglin Mall anytime! I miss that supermarket.
 
Post a Comment