Photobucket

Vitello Tonnato


Friday, October 27, 2006



Vitello Tonnato. Sounds rather fancy, doesn't it? It's an Italian starter which can also be served as a main course. In plain English, it's veal with tuna mayonaise sauce.

I made this mid week but didn't have time to write about it. I thought I'd squeeze some time in now to do it, seeing it's Friday and all. Come the weekend proper, I can kiss any chance of being near the computer within a 3ft radius goodbye. On weekends, the computer belongs to my husband and his beloved Guild Wars. The creators (bless their entrepreneurial, capitalistic hearts) have just unleashed another version of the game - Guild Wars Nightfall. My husband's just ordered his which will arrive shortly. We are both quivering, but for different reasons, though.

Anyway. Veal. Tuna Mayonaise. I keep doing this don't I? Digressing, I mean.


First up, I have to say that I hate veal and I dislike tuna even more. Unless it's raw tuna in the form of sashimi. In that case, bring 'em on. So why do I make this rather complicated dish? Well, it's among my husband's favourite and I'm more than happy to practice my mayonaise making skills.

This is best served chilled so I roast the veal in the oven, let cool and stick it into the fridge overnight letting it soak up the natural juices and olive oil released during roasting.

Just before serving, the tuna mayonaise is made. I mix eggs, olive oil, tuna, lemon juice, salt and pepper and blend for dear life until a rather rich mayonaise sauce is achieved. This is easier said than done. Making mayonaise is hard work, having to drizzle the oil slowly while whipping it up. Of course one can cheat with the blender but it doesn't come out the same way. Also, if you're a bit fanatical like me, it just Doesn't Feel Right.

Anyway, my husband enjoyed his Vitello Tonnato and that, in itself, was worth the aching arm.

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 8:49 am

2 calories
Comments:
You are a nice wife. In my household, when cook doesn't eat, the rest won't get. Gosh, time for self reflection. *wink*
 
Hehe... I TRY to be diplomatic during meal times seeing how we have a bit of an UN situation at home.
 
Post a Comment