Photobucket

Cantonese Yee Mein


Saturday, March 03, 2007



I had the hots for Yee Mein on Thursday. People get homesick, I get foodsick. So the next evening, I treated myself to a delicious serving of home-cooked Yee Mein; crispy noodles, green chilli and all. Heaven with a capital 'H'.

I enjoyed it so much I made it again today. My husband's away so I can pull stunts like that :) If I like a particular food, I can eat it for days on end until I get sick and don't want to see it again for the next 2 years.

Here's my easy peasy recipe for Yee Mein. As with Chinese cooking, the measurments are a rough guide. The amount you put in should rock your own taste buds.


Cantonese Yee Mein

You Need:

Ingredients:
2-3 portions of fresh egg noodles
250g of vegetables eg, choy sum, bak choy
250g medium sized prawns; shelled
100g of pork; sliced
50g of pork liver; sliced
1 tsp of garlic, chopped
Oil for frying

Marinade:
1/2 tsp ginger juice
1 tsp Chinese cooking wine
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp corn flour
a dash of pepper

Sauce:
1 tsp ginger juice
1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
225 ml water
1/2 tbsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Cornflour Mixture:
1/2 tbsp
5 tbsp water


Prep Work:

1. Blanch noodles in boiling water. Remove and drain well. Set aside
2. Do the same for vegetables.
3. Mix marinade ingredients and pork together. Marinate for at least and hour.
4. Mix sauce ingredients. Set aside.
5. Mix cornflour mixture. Set aside.


How To:

1. Heat a wok over high flame until it smokes. Add in oil.
2. Fry the noodles until crispy on both sides. Remove and drain well.
3. Add more oil to reheated wok. Fry garlic.
4. Stir-fry marinated pork with the marinade then add the sauce.
5. Stir the corn flour mixture then pour half in. Bring to the boil.
6. Add the prawns and liver. Cook for 2 minutes.
7. Spread the cooked meat and blanched vegetables over the noodles.
8. Add the rest of the cornflour mixture to the remaining sauce. Bring to the boil.
9. Pour the sauce over meat and vegetables.
10.Serve while piping hot.

Note: To obtain ginger juice, pound fresh ginger then squeeze over a fine sieve.

Labels: , ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 2:19 pm

4 calories
Comments:
hi there, I really enjoy your entries, am a Singaporean living in the SF bay area - I am likeyou too! I can eat the same thing for days on end then get sick of it (vomit!!) and won't touch it for a long long time! LOL!
 
Et tu, Brutus? LOLOL....

Thanks for dropping by :) How long have you been in SF? And in the bay area too! Lucky you!
 
I have been here for 5+ years =D Yes, pretty lucky since I can find alot of food stuff at the asian grocery stores. Just have to be dilligent in whipping up what I crave! *wink*
 
5 years is a pretty long time. The Chinatown in SF was featured in a Discovery Travel programme once and I was ooh and ahhing at the selection of fresh foods, groceries and restaurants there.
 
Post a Comment