Photobucket

Een Meisje!


Saturday, May 26, 2007


A Girl!

This morning, my sister called to announce that as of today, I'm officially an aunt. Everyone please say hi to Isabelle who clocks in at 3.5kg and 52cm long. Yes, she's a big girl. Big babies tend to run in the family. Both my sis and I were huge babies and so was my son, when he was born. The last month of my pregnancy was difficult on me since I'm on the petite side. Imagine a cantaloupe with toothpicks for limbs - that would be a fair description of what I looked like. I didn't walk, I waddled as with so many of the other pregnant women on the home run of their term.


My niece's birth brings to mind a Dutch custom involving newborns. When visitors come to ooh and aah at the little bundle of joy (or terror as his or her parents will find out soon enough), they are served this snack of beschuit met muisjes. "Beschuit" is a Dutch rusk and "muisjes" (literally translated means little mice) are tiny sugar coated aniseeds. Here's the cute part: baby boys get the light blue and white variety while girls get the pink and white ones. What you do is butter a beschuit and sprinkle it with muisjes and serve with the mandatory cup of coffee or tea.

******

Once again, congrats to the happy family, can't wait to see the photos!

Labels:



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 12:04 pm

1 calories
Comments:
CONGRATS!
 
Post a Comment