Photobucket

Nigella's Baklava Muffins


Wednesday, September 19, 2007



Here's another stab at a Nigella recipe from her How To Be A Domestic Goddess baking book.

I'm still on my Turkish streak. I know, I know... I can hear some of you say, get over your Turkish holiday already! But that's the fun of travelling, you learn about and maybe even fall in love with the country's culture and cuisine, not just the exchange rate and shops.

Anyway.

Yesterday I made some Baklava Muffins as a prelude to the real Baklava I have on my to-do list. I absolutely love this recipe! Dripping in honey (I practically drowned mine in it) and smelling ever so slightly of cinnamon, on account of the cinnamon and walnut filling, it's sticky and gooey - 100% hardcore comfort food. And forget about eating this daintily. You can't. Even the Queen of All Things Proper, Emily Post will get her fingers messy, let alone us mere mortals.



In keeping with the theme, I put out my Turkish teacup and saucer set and brewed myself some Apple Tea, both of which were bought during our little summer sojourn to Turkey this year. I figured the cinnamon in the muffins would go nicely with the apple tea. It did.



A note about these little cups. They are only 3 inches tall (I've got heels higher than that!) and can only hold so much tea each time. There's a reason for it as the Turks make their tea extremely, extremely sweet. I had the priviledge of being served a cup while we were at a silver shop a few years back - okay, I'm not stupid, the guy was trying to make a sale, hence the attention - and boy, did I get a sugar buzz after. Oh, and the tea wasn't a wasted touch, we did eventually walk out with a couple of bracelets and earrings for me.

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 2:52 am

2 calories
Comments:
Mmm, I love apple tea too. You'll see that Turkey will stay with you for quite a while after a trip. After my 1st trip there more than a decade ago, I nearly wanted to migrate there and marry a Turk. Though of course thank God I didn't.
Great looking bakes as usual, thank your lucky stars I don't live next door or you'd be seeing me for tea every day (evil grin).
 
ONLY if you share your home-made terrine and foie gras with moi. LOL.

Honestly, I do wish I had someone to unload my bakes on. I usually throw away the leftovers as I'm the only one eating and it's way too much. I used to give them away to my neighbours and some of the mums at school but I've since stopped because I don't know if they really like it or they are just being polite and behind closed doors go: Not again!
 
Post a Comment