Photobucket

Deep Fried Thai Chicken Balls


Wednesday, December 12, 2007



This came about because I am in the process of cleaning out my stash of frozen ingredients but more about that later.

I found lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves and galangal (blue ginger) in the freezer - all brimming with hope of one day coming together in the form of Tom Yum Goong. I almost did too if not for the chicken filet I found in the next drawer.

I was feeling particularly Johnny-on-the-spot and decided to make up some Thai inspired chicken balls. I didn't have a recipe to follow and therefore, made it up as I went along.

The result: delicious, fragrant morsels - the perfect finger food.


Deep Fried Thai Chicken Balls


You Need:

300g minced chicken
2 cloves garlic
2 shallots
2-3 slices galangal
3 kaffir lime leaves
1 stalk lemon grass (use only the bottom white portion)
salt and pepper to taste
half tbsp cornflour
oil for deep frying

You Do:
  1. Blitz the garlic, shallot, galangal, lime leaves and lemon grass in a food processor until you get a fairly fine paste. Use a bit of oil if you have to.


  2. Place minced chicken and marinade paste in a mixing bowl. Add cornflour, salt and pepper. Knead thoroughly to ensure everything is well blended. Let sit for at least an hour in the refrigerator.


  3. Before frying

  4. Shape chicken paste into small balls.


  5. In a wok or large pot, heat up enough oil for deep frying. When oil is hot enough, gently slide the chicken balls in. Cook until golden brown.


  6. Serve with Thai sweet chilli sauce.

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 7:11 am

5 calories
Comments:
Wow, looks good. Love the presentation.
 
Wow, this sounds delicious and simple to prepare. May I know how many pieces did you manage to make? Just need an idea cos I want to make this for about 40 guests. TIA !
 
Thanks D!

Doreen, I yielded about 25 pieces, each the size of a medium fish ball. Do let me know how they turned out - I would love to know.

Btw, if the ready minced chicken is not smooth enough, you can blitz it in the food processor first before adding the marinade. That's what I did to my whole chicken filet.
 
oh, that looks good, such a pretty presentation too!
 
Looks tasty and really easy to make :)
 
Post a Comment