Photobucket

Earthquake


Monday, May 12, 2008


I can now add earthquake to my list of life experiences.

To our family and friends, we are safe and well.

Hubs was at the office when it happened and felt nothing although the building across was shaking and people were flooding out of it like molten chocolate. One wonders what kind of super duper foundation thingamajig is anchoring the building Hubs works in.

Sonny-boy apparently didn't feel anything at school either. But then again, you know how boys are when they are playing, it's like an earthquake anyway.

As for me, I had just returned from yoga and was taking a breather on the couch when it happened. It was an especially tiring session with my head suspended upside down for quite a bit which made me light headed. So when I felt some kind of movement, I thought

i) I was tripping from the yoga; or
ii) I was having one of my dizzy spells

But no, the building was shaking real bad and the hanging lamps in the living and dining areas were swaying from side to side. I made my way gingerly to the windows and could see people milling out. Rightly or wrongly, I stayed put and called Hubs. After a short conversation, I quickly packed up all our passports and important paperwork into my bag and waited in the hallway. I was going to make a run for it if another wave of tremours began. And as cliched as it might sound, I kept thinking of Hubs and Sonny-boy with all sorts of wild scenarios flashing through my mind.

Thank goodness it never arrived nor did the situation escalate.

Oh, and a more relieved mum there never was when I picked Sonny-boy up from the school bus later that afternoon. I might have hugged him that much tighter.

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 6:14 am

7 calories
Comments:
glad tt you are alright. hugs!
 
Good to hear all is well with you and family.. I try to think of myself in your situation and I felt sick to my stomach that my loved ones are not by my side when such a thing happened.

Hope you feel better now.
 
Marie: Thanks for the concern, I had such a big fright.

Rachel: I am still rattled and threw up a few times since this afternoon. I remember thinking to myself in the hallway, please, don't let me die this way (ie, alone and crushed by a building)... *blush*

If there ever was a time I wanted my husband and son next to me, it was this afternoon, for sure.
 
Oh gosh. Hugs. I hope you are much better now. It is really scary.
 
I'm so so SO glad you're ok! (((HUGS)) from the other end of the globe!
 
Glad that you and your family are alright.

oh poor you, are you feeling slightly better now? Take good care ok.
 
D, Francine and Jes, thanks for your concern. The shaking apartment was nothing compared to what the people of Sichuan went through. I am grateful and consider ourselves extremely lucky.
 
Post a Comment