Photobucket

Beef and Vegetable Soup


Tuesday, September 12, 2006



This is our family's all-time favourite soup.

It's a self-conconction of beef boullion, chunks of beef, meatballs, bay leaves, parsley, onions and assorted vegetables.

The secret is in the boullion or stock. I buy the concentrated liquid ones because the cubed variety are rubbish (for this recipe anyways). I let the soup simmer away for around 2 hours and add in the vegetables only in the last 10 minutes. This results in chunky melt-in-your-mouth beef while the vegetables remain crisp and retains their colour. If there's anything I hate, it's pallid, soggy vegetables. I find this very common in western soups or cooking. No wonder kids here hate their veggies! I would too, if I had to eat the lumpy mess.

The other secret is the bay leaf or laurier blad as it is called in Dutch. The leaves are used in the French herb mixture 'bouquet garni' and it is often used to flavour soups and stews.

My son's favourite combination is soup with cravattine (bowtie) pasta as pictured above. It makes a filling one dish meal. My husband likes his plain with a crusty kaiser roll. Me, I swing either way as long as I have loads of vegetables in my portion.

K, if you are reading this, I saved you a bowl, to calm the nasty hormones:

Hang in there, only 4 more months to go! *wink*

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 1:17 pm

4 calories
Comments:
Slurp...thanks!!
How come mine looks much darker?? I used masterfood beef stock, the soup is like the chinese beef noodle soup color. Still taste good though.
 
K: It's the stock. Masterfood beef stock is dark while the ones available here are lighter and clearer in colour. I made enough soup for 2 days so I can skive off cooking today. More time for stitching, don't you know!LOL.
 
Monkey Rouge: Hi! Thanks for dropping by. All the way from Vermont, too!
 
*stamping my feet away*

Where. Is. My. SOUP?!!!

*pouting at J with both hands on my waist*
 
Post a Comment