Photobucket

Hainanese Chicken Rice


Wednesday, October 18, 2006



I made Hainanese Chicken Rice today. I've fine-tuned my method so it's not as troublesome as some might think. It's still time consuming work but that can't be helped because the chicken and stock need to simmer for about an hour. Besides, I'm ill and need a bit of TLC, Tender Loving Cuisine.


For me, the tricky part of this dish is the rice itself. I use chicken stock as well as garlic and ginger to cook the aromatic rice. Previously, I didn't always get the texture right. Sometimes it'd be too soggy, other times a tad dry. It was like playing Chicken Rice Roulette. However, I've overcome the problem by adding a little stock each time and watching over it like a hawk. I understand some cooks use a rice cooker but since I don't own one, a pot will have to do.


Chicken rice is one of Singapore's signature dishes. It can be found in hawker centres or food courts all over the island and depending on where you're eating, it's one of the cheapest meal around. It's so common you don't think about it all. I never did until we moved. Nowadays I make it when I want comfort food. Like today, for instance.

Labels:



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 2:12 pm

0 calories
Comments: Post a Comment