Photobucket

French *hic* Onion Soup *hic hic*


Monday, November 06, 2006


I have such a nasty hangover right now so forgive me if I sound incoherent here. I shall do my best to make sense.

Today I had the notion of making French Onion Soup for dinner. It's a perfect stomach warmer for the winter. I have this never-before-tested French recipe which I've been sitting on, waiting for the colder months to set in.

Anyway, I gathered my ingredients together, followed the recipe to the T and voila, incredible smelling soup. I scooped myself a big bowl, topped with croutons and melted Gruyere cheese and tucked in greedily. Within minutes of consumption, I felt myself getting dizzy, my eyes slightly dilated and neck feeling flushed. I was high from the alcohol in the soup! The recipe had called for 275cl of dry white wine and I thought the 2 hour cooking time was enough to kill all traces of alcohol. Obviously it was not. *hic*

So here I am typing this, with a nasty headache. My husband just called home minutes ago and I related the incident to him. He found it so hilarious and couldn't stop laughing. I'm sure I'll find it funny tommorrow. *hic* Just not now. Thought to self: I do wish the room will stop spinning.

As if it wasn't bad enough, who should ring the door bell (just before my husband's phone call) but my son's classmate and her mother. They were here to deliver a birthday party invite. I tried my best to appear normal hoping they didn't notice I was sloshed to the gills.

You see, I'm a teetotaller of sorts. I don't consume alcoholic beverages if I can help it. It wasn't always like that. Before I got pregnant and quit alcohol, I could drink like a fish and still be relatively sober. Ironically, during the entire pregnancy, the mere whiff of it would make me nauseous. I attempted my first glass of red after things got back to normal but it made me so sick I was off it for good. I'm very sensitive to alcohol now, even if it's just a dash in cooking, I'll feel the wrath of it.

No photos of the soup tonight. I promise one the next time I make it again. And I will make it again as it's one of my husband's favourites. In the meantime, I must go tend to my splitting head. *HIC!*

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 1:46 pm

2 calories
Comments:
hahaha this is so funny. Getting high on French onion soup!!!!!!
 
I know! What are the odds right? LOL.
 
Post a Comment