Pork And Peach Kebabs
Tuesday, June 19, 2007
Taken from GoodFood magazine, this is one of the new recipes I've been trying out over the past month. It is zo lekker, you really have to try it for yourself. Peaches are in season right now so do be sure to pick the juicy ripe ones for this recipe.
Speaking of recipe, I've tweaked the directions of the original a little to maximise the flavour of the marinade. Instead of brushing the marinade and grilling immediately thereafter, I left the meat to sit in the mixture for a few hours. This way, the flavour seeps right through the pork instead of just the surface.
Grilled Pork And Peach Kebabs
500g pork fillet, cut into large cubes
2 peaches, stoned and cut into chunks
2 tbsp honey
salt to taste
- Grate the zest from half the lemon and squeeze out the juice.
- Mix juice with zest and honey. Add salt to taste.
- Keeping aside about 2 tbsp of marinade, add cubed pork. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours.
- Alternately thread the pork and peach chunks onto the skewers.
- Brush all over with reserved 2tbsp of marinade.
- Grill or barbecue for 10-12 minutes, turning regularly, until cooked.
Note: Soak wooden skewers in cold water for at least 5 minutes to ensure meat does not stick onto the skewers after cooking.
This is best served with salad on the side. This evening, I chose Baby Gems, although of course any other salad greens will do. I broke up the leaves into smaller portions, drizzled it generously with lemon flavoured olive oil, white wine vinegar and added freshly ground 4 peppers and salt to taste followed by shavings of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. The warm sweetness of the pork and peach clashes so deliciously with the tart, fresh salad. Words fail me so like I said earlier on, you have to try this for yourself.
Labels: one dish meals, she cooks
The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 6:41 pm