Photobucket

Veni, Vidi, Visa - VISA


Friday, November 02, 2007


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


One can't visit Italy and come home empty handed. Not even if one tried very hard and especially not in Florence. It is a shopper's paradise. Not because it's cheap (nothing is cheap in Italy) but because of the mind boggling variety of stores. Here's what fell into my shopping cart, or rather the boot of the Hubby's car:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Olive oil and balsamic vinegar from Modena, the area where it comes from. I've since used it to drown my salads in. Let me tell you it's different from the rest I've ever tasted - so full and sweet, with just a slight tang. I can't go back to the generic sour ones anymore!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Aprons. The rude one for Hubs and the other for me.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Close up of the Pasta apron.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Printed canvas totes featuring Botticelli's Birth of Venus and La Primavera (Allegory of Spring). I've already used the Venus print one for running groceries and errands. These things look small but are surprisingly roomy - I stuffed 2 dozen bread rolls in them, and still had room for my wallet, keys and a tube of shampoo. It also looks real pwurdy hanging off my bike handlebar or in the front basket. *heh*

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Books I picked up from the souvenir store at the Museo Ferragamo.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Inside pages of the smaller book. The two platforms (specially made for Judy Garland) were on display. Her feet's rather small and I was blown away by the workmanship and design. The multi-coloured one looked pretty worn out so I guessed it must've been a favourite pair.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Another Ferragamo souvenir I had to have - it's a stationery box filled with cards, envelopes and notepaper. I've since removed the stationery and turned it into a sewing box.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

See the drawer compartment? Perfect for my scissors, highlighters and pegs.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My most, most favourite buy from Florence - meet Carla, an 8.5cm chilli red patent leather pump from this season's collection. My heart still hasn't stopped pumping. What's extra special is purchasing it from the mothership herself. The building where it is situated in also houses the museum in the basement. The upper levels are the showroom and management offices.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sharing the love with Hubs - his first pair ever. *sniff sniff*

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The dear man is still reeling (he's more modest than I am when it comes to footwear and normally sticks to Hugo Boss or the occasional Bruno Magli) but at least he now understands why back in the day, I used to starve so I could afford them shoes.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I found this beautifully crafted leather sling bag in a market place called Il Mercato del Porcellino. The square is filled with vendors selling only scarves, shawls and all manner of leather accessories. The prices are affordable but don't expect basement bargains either. Small bags start at 70 euros onwards and can reach up to 150- 200 euros. No, you don't get the cut throat 'tourist' rate here. The products are very well made - good enough to rival those found in the designer stores. So if you're ever in the region and itching for a new bag, wallet, belt, what have you, this place is worth a visit. But be warned, the choices are mind boggling. It was too much for me until I didn't know what I wanted anymore and almost walked out empty handed. Until I saw this, of course.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It's been ages since I last owned a sling bag and this looked so elegant. It also has this Hermes equestrian themed thingy going for it and is fully lined in soft leather . The best part - limited, tasteful gold hardware. I was complaining to a girlfriend I hardly buy bags nowadays as the current style of big bags and excess hardware is not my style and overpowers my frame. I further grumbled that in the department of hardware detailing, it's as though the designers are trying to push the limit of how much metal fittings and what not one can squeeze into a bag before it sets off the airport detectors. Some women just like s-i-m-p-l-e, you know.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Also bought from the same market, a silk scarf for me and

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A wool and cashmere shawl for the Hubby. I'm waiting for the day he tires of it before I hijack the lovely for myself.

One word about the market. I found out later that one can bargain there. We didn't know and because, well, no one ever bargains in Europe, not even in the markets, so we didn't. Unlike Asia where you are expected to and is almost a sport. Imagine our pleasant surprise then when we were given 10% discounts and the bag cost us Hubs 100 euros and the scarf and shawl 12 and 15 euros respectively. Discounts, like gifts,kind deeds and freebies, are best when given and not asked for.

Know what I mean?

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 5:03 am

3 calories
Comments:
Hmmm....drool. The red turns out rather bright here but what I saw in the store is really gorgeous!
 
Isn't it? In real life the shoes are a muted russet red. Must be the lighting. :S
 
Now all those lovely buys look very you alright. Especially those very red and surely very expensive shoes.

And can't believe that you manage to con, no I mean persuade, your Hub to buy a pair for himself too...LOL

The pictures of those shoes (on the box, book...) look amazing, did he really design all of them? When I find the time, I'll go check out the F shop but then, maybe better resist the temptation, could be Pandora's box...
 
Post a Comment