Photobucket

C'mon Everyone - Do The Sushi Roll!


Monday, November 13, 2006


When the cat (aka my husband) is away, the mouse (aka moi) comes out and have a sushi party. Still feeling off from Saturday's feast of Mexican spare ribs, I decided to go light again this evening. That's also why I only made 2 kinds of sushi:

Sushi with egg roe topping....

....and futomaki, of sorts. I managed to gather all the ingredients together - doumo arigatou gozaimashita, Karen-san, for the pink fish floss!- and made my own tomago (egg omelette). All except for the shitake mushrooms and unagi,(eel). Oh well, beggars can't be choosers. Especially when this beggar is not within a 10km radius of a Japanese restaurant. Don't laugh, but the last time I was in an authentic Japanese restaurant (complete with teppanyaki grill and Japanese staff) was earlier this year on holiday. In the Gran Canaria. How surreal is that? Needless to say, I stuffed myself silly with sashimi, chawanmushi and assorted sushi. This greedy mum even attacked her son's udon(thick rice noodles). *guilty blush*

I managed to yield 16 pieces of futomaki tonight and decided to stop at that. Initially, I had a packet of inari (bean curd) pockets which I wanted to stuff with rice to make inarizushi but decided against it as it's just me who's eating. His Royal Highness only wanted plain rice balls followed by his beloved peanut butter sandwiches. I have 9 pieces left so I guess that takes care of tommorrow's dinner as well. More time for stitching - yay!

Labels: ,



The Dutchess of Cookalot whipped this up at 2:00 pm

5 calories
Comments:
Hey, your tamago is very nicely done. I always have problem rolling sushi, my seaweeds always ended up crumbled and soggy.
 
I love sushi (excet raw stuff), and your sushi rolls are so pretty, especially the futomaki.
 
Karen-san: You should've seen my first attempt. It wasn't tight enough and everything spilled out. Got so fed up I went to Sakae Sushi the next afternoon. LOL. Now I have no choice but to learn or suffer from cravings.

Angie-san: I love Japanese cuisine. Hot, cold, raw, cooked, soupy, you name it, I'll eat it.
 
Joyce,
your sushi rolls are so pretty. I still ve a pkt of carlo rice sitting in my cabinet but i ran out of sushi vinegar, need to replenish before i do it again.
 
Hi Cranberry! Thanks for dropping by. I also used the last drop of sushi su for the rice, need to top up soon.
 
Post a Comment